Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Who came out ahead?


I was watching "Armageddon" in HD on Encore On Demand last night and I highly recommend it to all even if you've seen it. But that is not the point of this post. Rather seeing Liv Tyler having her stomach molested with animal crackers by Ben Affleck got me thinking. Who had the better career out of Liv Tyler and Alicia Silverstone?

The two appeared together in the Aerosmith video "Crazy" in 1993. Now if you haven't seen it, watch it now, I'll wait....Ok, you see it? Yeah guess what, that creepy lead singer? He's the dark haired one's dad!!! Let that set in for a second, how f*cking creepy is that? I thought the other day how if I had a daughter I wouldn't even let her wear a two piece bathing suit until she was married and he's having his daughter dance on a stripper pole in a music video when she was 16?? Also, fun fact, Liv didn't know Steven Tyler was her dad until she was nine because her mom told her it was someone else until Liv noticed a resemblance she had to Steven's other daughter. Now think about how Liv Tyler seems kinda normal, isn't that mind-blowing?

That's why these two actresses are connected and that's why I am gonna see which one of these two lovely ladies had the best career to date. We're going with four categories: Looks, Filmography, Personal Life, and Relevance Today.

Looks

Well it all comes down to the age old question of blonde vs brunette. I like both because of a different age old saying "beggars can't be choosers" but I know whatever I say many will disagree with because of your own personal preferences. I gotta go with Alicia here. I am a face guy and I just think she's got the better mug. Liv does have a nice body but normally chicks wear clothes like 80% of the time, the face can't hide like that.

Point - Silverstone

Filmography

Now I thought this was going to be a little bit more difficult, but I gotta be honest Liv smokes Alicia here. I guess I thought since Liv never was the main character of a big movie like Alicia was in "Clueless" it'd be more of a contest but it's not even close. Liv stars in two of my favorite movies about music ("Empire Records" and "That Thing You Do"), a big budget action blockbuster ("Armageddon"), an underrated drama ("Reign Over Me"), a horror movie ("The Strangers") and an Oscar winner ("Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" yeah it counts!). Alicia's credits aside from "Clueless" are pretty bad, such as "Blast From the Past". And no matter how hard she tries, she's not wiping the stink of "Batman and Robin" off. She does get a lot of credit in my book for having a guest appearance on "The Wonder Years" though. Kevin Arnold is the man.

Point - Tyler

Personal Life

I don't know why I included this. I guess I thought I'd find more when I looked it up, like one of them dated De Niro and the other banged Nicholson. Sadly, this is not the case. According to her wikipedia Alicia dated Leonardo DiCaprio at one point and Liv dated Joaquin Phoenix. Come to think of it in 20 years that could be like dating De Niro and Nicholson, that's kinda spooky how that came together like that. I didn't even plan that. Anyways, both of them eventually married dudes from bands you've never heard of. Even though Liv recently separated from her husband and there could be some scandalous sex tape in her future, I gotta call this a draw.

Point - Push

Relevance Today

This one is pretty obvious because I am sure most of you had forgotten about Alicia until I wrote this. Sadly, the career didn't seem to go the way the girl who once played Cher Horowitz intended. The biggest movie I see she's been in recently was "Beauty Shop", score. She has something coming out called "Elektra Luxx" in 2010. I don't know what that is and I have blog about movies so I can't imagine it's the career boost she's hoping for. Liv on the other hand was just in "The Incredible Hulk" and is working on a sequel to "The Strangers" as well as two more movies according to IMDB. Plus her dad is still the lead singer of Aerosmith, so she's got that going for her. So when it comes down to it, you just see/think/hear more about Liv than you do Alicia.

Point - Liv


So there you have it. As of right now, Liv Tyler has turned into the Shawn Michaels of the "Crazy" video and Alicia Silverstone is the Marty Jannetty. And we are two for two in blogging everyday while Eric's away so far. See you tomorrow?

No comments: